The Ashitaba Plant
NO SICK PERSON, particularly those with illnesses should not take ASHITABA….Let me correct that, NO PERSON (even those with good state of health) should NOT ever be without ASHITABA especially in the PHILIPPINES where it is commonly found.
It has been my “vision” to inspire and motivate others to lead a HOLISTIC LIFE, a life that is balanced in all areas: physical, mental, spiritual, emotional, social and even financial… for I believe that it is only then that we can live life to the fullest.
Our physical body needs a lot of nurturing as it is the “Temple of the Holy Spirit”, the core of our being and it plays the biggest part in our holistic living. Hence, the GOOD NEWS that I’d want to share with you is this, “studies and researches have found that ASHITABA, the herb with the most number of benefits, is the secret to good health, staying young and long life. Thus, it is called the “longevity herb”. it is also called “tomorrow’s leaves” because when the leaves are picked today, it would blossom again tomorrow. Ashitaba has been used in Japan (Edo Period of 15th century) and China (Ming Dynasty in early 15th century) as medicinal herbs due to its power of supplying vital nutrients.
A lot had been heard about this super food ASHITABA and its enormous health-benefits that I have done my “own research” and have gathered the highlights to share them with you.
A beneficiary of its mighty benefits herself, my 85-year old Mom, introduced me to this super herb, ASHITABA. Her lab exams a month ago showed the following results:
Creatinine- 1.5 mg/dl normal values- .6-1.1 mg/dl
FBS – 150 mg/dl normal values- 70-100 mg/dl
After just 2 weeks of taking 5 (raw) ashitaba leaves daily, her Creatinine is down to 1.2 mg/dl and FBS to 120 mg/dl. Amazingly, her bp of 150/70 has also gone down to 120-130/60 isn’t that INCREDIBLE??? And so, I made a quick research and found out this GREAT NEWS!
More than 2,000 years ago, Hippocrates, The Father of Medicine uttered the phrase “Let Food Be Thy Medicine”. Today, his famous words hold more truth and credibility than ever before. This follows extensive research that is continually uncovering health-related benefits linked to a wide range of foods from around the globe.
One food in particular that has found to possess many medicinal properties, as I have mentioned, is Ashitaba (scientific name-Angelica Keidskei Koidzumi). The name Angelica comes from the Latin name for Angel and was given to this herb because of its godly effects, namely its extraordinary ability to slow the aging process.
- Research published Nutraceuticals World, Sept. 2002, astonishingly showed that Ashitaba, out-performed all other herbs including green tea, red wine and soy that were tested for their anti-oxidant potential based on the ORAC guide (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity).
- Scientists discovered that it is the only known plant to contain chalcones, (see below). This, they discovered when they began to analyze the diet and environment in order to determine the health and longevity of the people in the Japanese Island of Hachijo. Residents have ashitaba as part of their diet, and typically have some of the longest life spans on earth. The plant has been an integral part of their diet on this island for hundreds of years. and has since then a compulsary food for all Japanese.
- Dr. Kevin Lance Jones, a licensed acupuncturist and Orthomolecular Medical Doctor (OMD) from California, in the US says, “There is a patient in Texas that has insulin-dependent (Type 1) diabetes who is currently taking the herb. He says he now has to use less insulin because his blood sugar no longer spikes with attacks of hyperglycaemia. Another patient in Japan took Ashitaba for 6 months and his blood sugar level dropped from 400 mg/dl to 150 mg/dl.”
- Many researchers believe that Ashitaba contains endless therapeutic compounds.
–CHLOROPHYLL: The green pigment present in plants is almost identical to the haemoglobin molecule in Blood Cells (RBCs), it is often referred to as “nature’s blood”. And one of its many attributes includes its ability to stimulate the production of RBCs, which carry oxygen to the body tissues. It is also an excellent agent for cleansing the blood and liver, and promotes the growth of “friendly” intestinal bacteria.
Chlorophyll found in Ashitaba stem
–GERMANIUM-This trace mineral has been found to promote the production of interferon, a substance produced by the body that works to prevent viruses and bacteria from penetrating the body cells.
–COUMARINS- These are potent antioxidants, which have been found to contain anti-carcinogenic properties.
–CHALCONES- This is unique to Ashitaba as it is the only known plant to have this substance. It is potent antioxidants, protecting cells from free radical damage and with many degenerative diseases including cancer. They also suppress the secretion of gastric juice in the stomach which is often caused by stress and can lead to stomach ulcers.
And a LOT MORE vital nutrients…
- The Biomedical of Tahara Shuzo found that the powerful compounds found in Ashitaba can enhance production of Nerve Growth Factor (NGF), which is an incredible process. NGF is a biological substance which is essential in the development and survival of certain neurons in both the central and peripheral nervous systems.
In one study, using 1% ashitaba dry powders, a 20% increase of NGF concentration was noted after only 4 days.
ASHITABA MAY HELP TO:
- promote blood cleansing and circulation
- reduce blood pressure
- regulate cholesterol level
- regulate blood sugar level
- reduce joint and muscular pain
- enhance liver and kidney functions
- support digestive and G.I. health
- anti viral and bacterial actions
- suppress cell growth abnormalities
- inhibit general inflammation
- relieve smooth muscle spasms in the arteries and bronchial tubes
- improve visual acuity
- peri-menopausal relief
- smoother skin texture
- aid natural sleep cycles
HOW ASHITABA IS TAKEN:
Ashitaba can be taken raw (just wash the leaves clean and eat it) or as a part of the diet.
I had been quite adventurous in my ashitaba dishes and juice recipes that I thought the options are just endless… Here are some of my “Ashitaba Kitchen Adventure”:
Chicken with diced carrots,chopped celery and Ashitaba
Blanched Ashitaba topped with melted cheese and (canned) enoki mushrooms
Ground pork and ashitaba leaves omelet
Fried rice with ashitaba keaves
Here’s the secret: you can experiment by adding ashitaba leaves to any of your favorite dishes. And maybe you can share your recipe thru my blog post. I’m sure many ashitaba lovers would be as happy as I am to try them.
For my JUICE RECIPES, I use any fruits that are available in the market and experiment with them. I also add powdered AGAR (gelatin seaweed extract) as it also known to have a lot of health benefits.
AGAR HEALTH BENEFITS:
- known for its ability to aid in digestion and weight loss as it suppresses the apetite.
- good source of calcium and iron
- very high in fiber, contains no sugar (unflavored), no fat, no carbs and no calories.
- reduces inflammation
- considered mild laxative, good for those with chronic constipation but not recommended with those with weak digestion.
- it absorbs glucose in the stomach, passes through the digestive system quickly and inhibits the body from retaining and storing excess fat.
- its water absorbing properties also aids in waste elimination.
- also used in some parts of the world to treat hemorrhoids.
- it absorbs biles and by doing so causes the body to dissolve more cholesterol.
Now, you can just imagine how “POWER-PACKED” is my version of the ASHITABA JUICE with these two powerful ingredients, ASHITABA and AGAR.
“Take note that I use a blender to have a finer and smoother “puree shake-like” results. And before putting the Ashitaba leaves, I cut them finely with scissors. The Agar is also sprinkled little by little so as not to produce lumps.”
HERE ARE SOME OF MY “ASHITABA JUICE ADVENTURE”:
Pineapple, calamansi and ashitaba leaves
Watermelon, banana, seaweed gelatin extraxt – pandan flavor and ashitaba leaves
These are just two of the juice experiments that I made. You can try mixing different fruits and you will be surprised with their extraordinary tastes. The thing is, JUST THINK ABOUT THEIR HEALTH BENEFITS.
YES, take in TOMORROW’s LEAVES for a BETTER TOMORROW…and try it with AGAR too for maximum health benefits. LET your better tomorrow START TODAY!!!